January Prompt

With the new year, new challenges are faced by wildlife in Centennial Woods. Some go into hibernation, some migrate, and some are active year-round. When I first arrived at my location, I was shocked at the drastic differences in the appearance of my site.

Comparing the changes in these two photos, you can see that there is no longer any leaves on the trees besides pines on conifers. Also, there has been some new graffiti added to the old ROTC bunker which shows that there has definitely been some human interaction. I also noticed several footprints and domesticated dog prints which is another sign of human interaction with this location.

Above are some images that show wildlife movement occurring in Centennial Woods. The first image was found right near my location and it appears to be scat droppings of a mouse or other small rodent. The next two images are the same location which shows tracts found slightly to the right of my location. The print did not have nails included which made it more difficult to determine what type of paw it belonged to. However, after Prof. Michael’s lecture last week (McDonald, 2020), I was able to determine it looked most closely to a domesticated canine. Unfortunately, there were not many tracks due to a recent dusting of snow the night before.

Figure 6: (Macphail, 2019)

I was also able to identify a twig from a young American Beech. The photo above shows an American Beech twig that looked similar to mine (my photo ended up being unfocused and slightly blurry). Unfortunately, my phenology site includes many trees, such as black cherries and eastern white pines which stop me from being able to view the twigs up close. I did, however, create a sketch of the American Beech twig I did identify.

NB: Please excuse my lack of skill in drawing

Figure 7: Diagram of American Beech Twig (Brummer, 2020)
Figure 8: Notes were taken at the site (Brummer, 2020)

Cited Sources:

References

Macphail Woods. (2019). beech-bud [photograph]. Retrieved from https://macphailwoods.org/wp-content/gallery/american-beech/beech-bud.jpg

McDonald, M. (2020, January 28). Winter Tracking & Subnivean Ecology [PowerPoint Slides]. Retrieved from https://bb.uvm.edu/webapps/blackboard/content/listContent.jsp?course_id=_140174_1&content_id=_3215632_1