Extra Credit #1: Phenology Site Visit

The morning of December 3rd at 9am, I revisited my phenology site for the last time. My initial observation was that little to nothing had changed since my previous visit. While there was no change in the absence of foliage and leave coverage, I did notice a change in my sense of this place. After recording some observations in my journal, my eye caught the previous page of observations from my last visit. I had recorded a downcast, bleak ambiance about the area. After my recent visit I noticed a change in my perception of the environment. While I did not observe one active species (squirrel, bird, etc.), I did feel a positive change in the mood of the landscape. The morning sun shone through the leafless trees, casting a warm glow on the snow covered ground, creating the appearance of a sparkling walkway. The air was crisp and lacked the harsh wind that usually leaves your ears and nose numb. I felt a sense of enjoyment while walking through the trees, a feeling I’m not always guaranteed at my phenology location. 

After skimming the W,W,W document, I would classify the natural community of my phenology location as a general “Oak-Pine-Northern Hardwood Forest Formation”. There are several different characteristics, as illustrated in Thompson & Sorrenson’s guide, that correspond to the characteristics of my particular phenology spot. For example, the guide lists Oaks, Sugar Maple, White ash, Pines, and Beech trees as possible species that one would encounter in an Oak-Pine forest formation. I have identified several of these trees at my phenology location, including Sugar Maples and White Pines. After digging deaper into the reading, it seems the specific natural community type that fits my spot (within the Oak-Pine Forest category) would be a Dry Oak Forest. 

Species in this habitat include the trees previously mentioned, as well as the grey squirrel, a family which I observed in a previous blog. The habitat is described as having shrubbery that occupies the forest floor, accompanied by dry soils, a description which perfectly fits my observations.

Journal observations…