Welcome: An Introduction

As a student, one of the most gratifying parts of my daily routine is walking to class or coming  home and seeing the sun setting on the lake, or a new dusting of snow on the peak of camels hump. Even on a slightly smaller scale, the trees, leaves, and the scent of fall remains charming. I stumbled upon my phenology assignment location by accident while exploring the wooded area behind the Hamilton dorms with friends. There is a man-made bridge/walkway that separates two small pools of water, that leads directly to the woods. Common buckthorn and small reeds surround the mini water bodies as a bright green algae coats the top of the water. As you make your way across this strip of land, the trees open, revealing an infinite walkway through a series of hardwood trees. Some of the tree species that survive in this specific niche include sugar maple, white oak, northern red oak, white pine, common & glossy buckthorn, and more. More recently, the color of the tree’s leaves have begun to change and fall. Red, yellow and green leaves litter the ground, accompanied by other various forms of organic material, including: pine cones, nuts, berries, etc. Especially when visited at the right time of day, this spot can be truly enchanting. Around golden hour, the sun seeps through the trees, emulating the color of the changing leaves, casting warm shadows on the forest floor. The character of this location – though charming – is also somewhat mysterious. The snaking path leads beyond the trees to an area I have yet to explore. Moreover, a little ways into the trees there is a deteriorating ropes course with one or two different climbing structures crumbling into the surrounding setting. Whenever I visit my spot, I always question when the structure was constructed and what purpose/who it served.