D6-Confusing Discussion and Discouragement.

I felt poorly after the intelligence/style discussion. When I’d read it, the distinctions were so clear. After talking, the distinctions were not so clear. Ahhh, the benefits of dialogue and how it moves one into one’s ZPD. I’d like to just keep the warning out there that learning style and the intelligences, multiple or otherwise, are not the same. Styles cut across intelligence(s), centers should be named after styles, not intelligence(s), and don’t worry too much about the details.

I also felt that the video, while providing a liquid example of how this all might work at its complex best, was also a source of discouragement to those of you just dipping your toes into teaching. Take heart. No one can possibly start off this way. My own advice might be to move to this more fluid and individualized way of thinking about teaching the first time when you are teaching a unit you all love. Kids will be pumped, you’ll have enthusiasm, you can differentiate all over the place by interest, and just remember to keep the group coming back together again and again to process and add to the group’s fund of knowledge. From individual to group and back again. Interdisciplinary units are a great practice venue for this more complex way of thinking about organization. Ch.

2 Responses to “D6-Confusing Discussion and Discouragement.”

1. Todd M says:

Same goes for me. My back was to the wall which may have been a bonus. The activity helped me with listening and processing…good stuff.

2. dnapolit says:

The mangagement tools we learned today and the examples we saw in video provided me with practical applications for the classroom. I really enjoyed participating in the Four Stage Rocket. Especially because my back was to the board and I had no idea what was happening. I like how it trains you to choose your words carefully. Good for ramblers like me.

The status treatments of assigning competence and identifying multiple abilities is crucial. It also needs to be authentic. Which leads to my next point. How do you deal with students that have shown very little positive behavior in your class? What can you do to bring them into the conversation if you haven’t found a way to connect?

What I enjoyed most about today is that the theory and practical application came together for me.

Dante