Bay Area, CA – Day 1

We drove up through southern California, which is basically solid agriculture from one end to the other. Almonds on the left, and grapes on the right, then grapes on the right and almonds on the right. Punctuated by fields of roses, truckloads of tomatoes and a gigantic cattle stockyard (dubbed “Cowschwitz” by our friends, it is enough to make you swear off beef forever).
We backed the trailer up into this lovely little cul-de-sac in San Rafael and spent a terrific couple of days with my cousin and his family. With Thom and Julia as our guides we visited the usual touristy spots: Fisherman’s Wharf, Ghiradelli Square, and rode the cable cars. Lunch was dim sum in Chinatown at a restaurant oddly called “The City View” (strange because it was on the first floor of the building with no windows, so there wasn’t any view at all). I was surprised that Alaina was actually game to try the chicken’s feet with me, but, well, chickened out in the end.
The weather was amazingly clear in downtown San Francisco, which had our local relatives all shaking their heads in disbelief. Zero fog!
sf1.jpg
sf2.jpg
sf3.jpg
sf5.jpg
sf6.jpg
After a great dinner at my Aunt and Uncle’s place, we dipped our toes in the Pacific at Baker Beach with the Golden Gate all lit up behind us. California temperatures are quite bizarre with 95 degrees up in the hills and 60s by the water.
sf4_bridge.jpg
sf6_beach.jpg

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Bay Area, CA – Day 1

1. Michelle says:

What an adventure! Beautiful family, beautiful memories! Hope we will get to take Kate on such a journey some day:)Thanks for sharing.

2. Sandra Fary says:

Aahhh, you’re in my neck of the woods. I went to college right near there and spent a lot of time in SF. I’m envious of your dinner in Chinatown.

3. Jen says:

I love these pictures! Hi Melissa. Hope you’re having fun! All is just fine here;)