New Orleans, LA

We’ve been traveling with one tail light out on the trailer for a couple of days now. It’s fine as long as we only want to turn left all day. The lights worked fine when I took the trailer down to get inspected, and for the first few days of our trip, but they were good and broken by the time we left Tennessee. So, we contacted my uncle Pat and asked him to make us an appointment somewhere to get it fixed down here in New Orleans.
Driving was otherwise uneventful as we barreled down through Mississippi although the temperature was climbing. We arrived Wednesday evening at my aunt and uncle’s beautiful house on Bayou St. John, just in time for a jambalaya dinner and a good nights sleep in a real bed!
Jordanhouse1.jpg
jordanhouse2.jpg
jordanhouse3.jpg
jordanhouse4.jpg
Today started bright and early as we dropped the trailer off at Star Automotive Repair, specializing in automotive electrical work. I first gave my description of the problem to a very nice fellow who actually didn’t understand any english. Luckily I connected with “Freddy”, the owner, and he reassured me that he could get the job done by closing time. In reality, his wife made absolutely sure the job got done because she was worried that, since they were in kind of a sketchy neighborhood, she couldn’t guarantee that they could keep the trailer safe overnight. Freddy is a true man of his word (or of his wife’s) because he put one of his guys on the job for the entire day. It turns out that the insulation was worn off several of the wires in a section of the trailer that I couldn’t get at, and they basically rewired the whole thing from the pigtail back.
New Orleans, even at 99 degrees, is a wonderful city. My aunt is a terrific tour guide, taking us first to the Cafe Du Monde for cafe au lait and beignets. Then to the French Market for a bit of shopping, and after dodging a thunderstorm, to view the huge houses in the Garden District. She also took us through the infamous 9th Ward, the most heavily damaged section of the city post-Katrina. There’s still one heck of a lot of empty lots with nothing but FEMA campers in them. There is hope though, and that’s the big story. Many houses have been rebuilt. Abandoned department stores have been turned into condos, and the city park golf courses are scheduled to reopen soon. This city has real soul and one little ol’ hurricane isn’t going to keep it down.
Many thanks to Pat and Lou Jordan for opening up their schedules and their home to us. Their love of New Orleans is quite contagious. You all need to see this city sometime, it’s really something special.
cafedumonde.jpg
frenchmarket.jpg
frenchquarter1.jpg
frenchquarter2.jpg
Next posting from Santa Fe, NM

This entry was posted in Cities. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to New Orleans, LA

1. Jen Lemieux says:

Love hearing about the trip- especially the food!

2. Emma...D says:

OOOH…! New Orleans is pretty (from what I see in the pix!) I hope you guys are having fun! I really liked talkling to Lainy on Saturday! Call me again!
    ~Emma

3. Great text and photos. I’m enjoying the trip right along with you.

4. Andrew Field says:

AH…beignet and chicory! Did you do the riverwalk? It is a fabulous place. Did you go out on the streets at 7 in the morning when the street sweepers are picking up the bodies?
    Stay safe….Andy & Claudia