Back from sick leave

Well, I guess I am back blogging. I missed it, but I had a stroke a year ago thanksgiving, and well, unnecessary writing was sort of out of the question. . . As you can imagine it has been something of a struggle to reenter the world of the living, but I am back.

It is worth mentioning some of the details of my stroke, since some of the details are rather interesting.

One of the most interesting was the most likely cause. Of course nobody knows the actual cause, and it almost certainly no one single factor; however, during recovery I was (self) diagnosed with severe sleep apnea, and I suspect this was a (the?) major contributing factor. This is interesting because fixing this problem was key to my recovery, and seems to have fixed a whole host of more minor health issues as well. The other thing that is interesting is the doctors totally missed it until I demanded a test. It has happened on several occasions in the past. The most dramatic of these was a fungal infection I diagnosed treated and had in remission before the test results I demanded came back. What was humorous is that the worlds expert on this disease was in the same building, and was completely panicked that I had this deadly disease, even though it was kind of after the fact.

During my (still ongoing) recovery from the stroke this issue with doctors has continued. One of the features of stroke recovery is a tendency for seizures to occur. I have had two grand mal and one petit mal seizures. I have been unable to convince the doctors that these are a good thing in that each seizure is associated with a major improvement in my symptoms. I can’t really blame them as seizures are dangerous, and the finding that they were part of the healing process presumably wouldn’t change the treatments. Still, I was stunned by there complete lack of interest when I reported that my symptoms had improved.

This le me to wonder: am I just so much smarter than doctors that I am a better diagnostician and more curious about health related issues, or is something else? I wonder if perhaps being a functioning doctor requires shutting down some of the creativity that makes a scientist a scientist. After all treating patients requires following protocols, and creativity is, or should be. Frowned upon. I don’t have an answer, but it is worth pondering. By the way – I am not that smart.

Anyway, other interesting things: My language came through intact. I did have one interesting thing happen. In a conversation I couldn’t come up with the word “bat” (as in the animal that flies). I was abled to get to it by remembering murciélago and fledermaus. More interesting, I have a lot of difficulty reading some thinds, but often science doesn’t give me problems. Interestingly words, letters etc. are easy enough, but stringing it together into a coherent phrase is hard. On the other hand, I have no problem if the computer reads it to me, and I have no problem writing. Go figure.

So, I will resume my blog, but probably not at the pace I maintained in the past.