Almost there!

Hello again, for the second-to-last time. Classes are over! I would like to take this opportunity to say that it has overall been a satisfactory year, and I will miss a lot of the people I have met. I will enjoy summer, and at the same time, I will be looking forward to next school year (more than this one).

Now it’s time for my routine summary of events. Last Tuesday was free cone day at Ben and Jerry’s, and I ordered Phish Phood, which was delicious. Wednesday was my last EMT-B class before my practical exam, from 5-8, and it was also my last choir meeting and concert from 5-6:15. There have been many times this year when I wanted to clone myself, or get a time-turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. On Friday, the Emergency Services Program of Living/Learning (my program) hosted an event that included relay races with firefighting gear, and sprinkler and fire extinguisher demos. Saturday I had my VT State Practical Examination for EMT-Basic certification, and I am pretty sure that I performed well, or at least did not fail anything critically. That night I went to Saint Albans for the Maple Festival Fiddlers’ Variety Show and performed solo, which was especially nerve-racking at this show, because there were so many other fiddlers performing as well.

To start this week on Sunday, I played fiddle for four hours with friends at the Maple Festival and then went to eat lunch with them, paying with the money we had made playing music. On Monday, I road my bike 27 miles, and the EMT-B class met for the last time, where we had a potluck dinner. Tuesday was my last day of classes (!!!!), and the L/L Hall Council went to the Olive Garden for dinner. Wednesday was the last official day of classes, however, I was at Shelburne Rescue at 7am to go to a Mock Crash at Champlain Valley Union High School in Hinesburg. I held a “patient’s” head stable while one of the fire departments cut the roof of the Chevy Tahoe from around us. Later that day was the last Inter-Residence Association (IRA) meeting, where we ate delicious Indian food, and voted on a lot of legislation (mine passed!). Wednesday, being the last day of classes, was also the Naked Bike Ride (NBR), a most sacred tradition at UVM, and I volunteered for crowd control. I ate too much pizza at the NBR meeting, after eating a lot at the IRA meeting. I will just say that I strongly dislike public tobacco smoking and public intoxication. I woke up yesterday (at 10am) with what I call a “food hangover.” Essentially, I was still digesting the previous day’s food, and I felt miserable as I went to take my Political Science final exam. I feel like I definitely had B+ performance on that exam, though I was really hoping for A-grade performance, to keep my GPA high.

Today, I am at Rescue for 12 hours, like most Fridays, and tonight, I will be going to a concert (if I am not responding to an emergency call) of Liz Carroll and John Doyle, two spectacular Vermont musicians. This is sponsored in part by the UVM Old Time Music Club.

I will conclude by saying that there is a lot to do at the end of the year, and a lot of free food. I should have contained my appetite. The only problem is that nearly all of the free food tastes better that what one can buy on campus (oops, did I bash the University? Egads!) It is important to have fun, but also to study. I have nearly no finals, and I keep forgetting that other people need to study hard while I want to be socializing (oops, again). I will give my final update (including H1N1 Swine Flu Virus) after classes have ended next week.

This is the Shelburne Rescue ambulance I have been talking about. Other squads call it the “ice cream truck.”

Firefighting games – what a happy participant! That’s University Heights in the left background, and Living/Learning to the right.