Still Keeping Busy

The day after my last entry, Friday April 3rd, was the start of the Old Time Music Weekend, and old-time musicians Alan Jabbour and Ken Perlman, playing fiddle and banjo respectively, came to UVM for a concert and music session. I played fiddle with them and a bunch of other musicians until 11:45pm when Police Services kicked us out of Billings. The next day was my 18th birthday, and I had EMT-Basic class for about 8 hours. After that, I went to watch Bruce Molsky play fiddle, and I played at the session until 11:15, when I went to a friend’s house downtown to play music until about 2am. On Sunday, my brother had a surprise party for me in the lounge of our Residence Hall. Overall, I had a pretty great birthday weekend.

On Thursday, I went to the Student Health Center to have my shoulder examined. Initial care is free for students. The doctor told me to get my shoulder x-rayed, and it turns out that I have a grade one separation of the acromioclavicular joint, which occurred over a month ago when I crashed skiing. Essentially, it is sprained. I should go to physical therapy, but I am too stubborn. Also on Thursday, I gave blood, so my arm was essentially useless by the end of the day.

Another interesting thing I did was to give tours of the Living and Learning Center for Admitted Student Day this past Monday. This is the role of future program directors, and I realized what an awesome place this is to live. It took verbalizing that to people who are thinking of living here for me to recognize that fact.

On Friday of this week, I observed in the Emergency Room for 4 hours, from 10pm to 2am, as a part of my EMT-Basic curriculum. I will say once again that the opportunity to take Emergency Medical Service classes through the University is a great one that is not offered everywhere. After going to bed at 3:30am, I woke up again at 8am to go to an Emergency Vehicle Operations Course in Charlotte, offered through Shelburne Rescue. I had to leave early from that and rush back to make it to an interview for the Peer Judicial Board, to which I applied. This is a great program that allows students to hold other students accountable for their actions.

Today was supposed to be the end of my crazy weekend, but at the very end of passing the driving section of the Emergency Vehicle course (with flying colors), the brake line to my rear brakes broke. I locked my keys in my car when I stopped at the Shelburne Fire Department, and I had to have a Shelburne Police Officer break into my car for me. Driving back to Burlington, I had to listen to an annoying chime with a warning light (for the brakes, go figure) on my dash lit. Now I have to cooperate with my brother to work out either fixing this car or buying a new (used) one.

Anyway, I have been extremely busy, and I don’t see anything changing in the near future. But I have been being productive, generally. One piece of advice, as finals approach, do not underestimate the power of sleep…zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…