Sleep Would Be Nice

I feel like a lot has happened since I last wrote. Hmmm…oh yeah, that’s right, there was a little thing called Spring Break. I don’t know how others feel, but either I did too much and slept too little, or one week really is not that long.

I started my break by doing a Ride-Along with UVM Police Services at 10pm, until 1am Friday night. One would think that there would be no action on a night when all of the students are suppose to be out of the Res-Halls at 8pm, but the officer with whom I was riding was called to a complaint of students smoking marijuana in one of the halls. It was an interesting process to observe. After that, I spent the rest of the night at the Shelburne Firehouse, getting up at 6am to bring my brother to his Firefigher I class. Long story short, I did not get adequate sleep until Wednesday of break, due to Boston, skiing, and just plain burning the candle at both ends.

I devoted one of my days to classroom observation in my High School, as part of an assignment for EDFS 055. That was interesting, slightly disheartening that I had to spend a vacation day in a school from which I already graduated as, and reaffirmed that I want to do something else after college before going into teaching.

I went to see Natalie MacMaster (world renowned, Cape Breton fiddler) play at the Flynn Theatre on Main St. in Burlington on Thursday night, arriving home after 11pm. I had to wake up at 5am the next day to leave at 6am to arrive at Shelburne Rescue at 7am, where I stayed until 7:30pm, receiving only one call. After my shift at Rescue, I went to pick up my order of wings at Wings Over Burlington, the best wings place ever (!!!!!), and I back to Enosburg to hang out with friends, until around 1am.

Saturday I slept in, but not enough, and in the afternoon, I went for a 6-mile run. Sunday, I slept in, but still not enough to negate my week-long deficit, and it was time to return to school. Sunday evening, I performed with the Fiddleheads at the Irish Music Showcase at City Hall in downtown Burlington.

This week has been so busy that I do not feel like I have been here for only one week. I had to interview applicants for the Emergency Services Program for next year, review their applications, and return decisions of admittance, all between Tuesday and Friday. By tomorrow, I have to turn in the housing roster for the program. This is on top of regular classes, a Midnight Breakfast for L/L Hall Council on St. Patrick’s Day, Rescue for 14 hours on Friday, and a Saturday (today) class from 8:30am to 5pm. I am feeling pretty wasted now, especially because I just worked out in the gym, climbed on the climbing wall (sponsored by the Outing Club), but tonight, most of the Emergency Services program, including me, is watching Zoolander at 10pm. And tomorrow, I am going to go skiing, waking up at 6:30 to catch the bus to Jay Peak. And next week, I have stuff to do every morning at 8:30 or earlier until Friday. When am I going to sleep?

I wonder, don’t I have homework somewhere?

-Latimer