Better than ever

I have been here for second semester for a little more than a month now, and I am enjoying myself more than I was first semester. It’s time for an official update on classes. I am receiving education about race and ethnicity in four classes (all but EMT-Basic), so I am feeling kind of swamped with that, but at the same time, it is good to think about it, and I don’t have to study as much because my classes are overlapping. I had a Political Science exam, which was not too bad, and I have a midterm tomorrow in Schools and Society. Next Monday I have a midterm for EMT-Basic. It’s funny, because I had only one midterm last semester, in history class.

In other news, I have been dealing with my funky schedule well, and I actually kind of like it. My only complaint is that class from 5-8 ruins any socializing I might want to do on Mondays and Wednesdays. I love having Fridays off, because it gives me a day to do whatever I want, and I can relax through my homework, so that when Monday comes, I am all done with nothing to do except amuse myself. Further, I joined Shelburne Rescue as a probationary member, and my first duty shift will be this Friday from 7am to 7pm…so that’s exciting.

Another interesting thing is that I sent in an application to go on a Ride-Along with UVM Police Services. I have done this before, but this time I will be going on a Friday or Saturday night, instead of a Monday afternoon. Just the fact that UVM has a program like this to make its law enforcement transparent is awesome; it helps to build trust.

Finally, I was sick last week, actually starting two Saturdays ago, and lasting basically until this past Saturday. It was the first time I was actually sick here at UVM. I did not miss any classes for sickness, but I was kind of disoriented all week, and I missed a few non-class commitments, because I plain forgot to go. But I learned that I can still walk all over campus and attend class even when all I want to do is sleep.

Also today, while I was typing this, I received notice that the Emergency Services program for next year has been accepted, with my brother and me as the program directors. Let’s hope I remember to go to the required meetings!

-Latimer