A whole new world

I sit in my dorm room right now looking at the pile of books on my desk, just waiting to be read. I have so much to do and I don’t know why I did not start earlier. I’ve been in school for a couple of weeks now and I am still trying to adjust to this very new life that I am living. This week has been so hectic, none like I’ve ever experienced before. Before coming to college, I was just your ordinary high school girl. I played on the ice hockey and field hockey teams and had my group of really close friends. I also went to the same classes every day and knew every single teacher and student that was in those classrooms. Homework was to be expected, but not so much that I felt like I drowning. That was what I was used to, knowing everyone and having only enough homework where I was busy for an hour tops. But now, I do not know but a couple of people in my class, and my teacher is just another person at the grocery store. I feel like I could not even approach the teacher with a question that I had about the reading last night, but know I have to if I want to do well on the next exam.

At the end of class, I walk to the bottom of the lecture hall, it’s actually bigger than the movie theater in my home town, to talk to my professor. I approach her and start to introduce myself when the teacher talks to me by my first name. I am so flabbergasted that I am at loss for words. It takes me a second to gather my thoughts when I felt the need to ask how the teacher knew my name. After listening for a couple of minutes, my professor told me that she has a class list, and beside each name is a picture of that particular student. My professor said that she studied that class list until she recognized each and every face of all her students. Needless to say, I was blown away. Here I was thinking that my teacher couldn’t tell me apart from the man on the moon, and I was completely wrong.

Ever since I have come to UVM, I have had my mind blown with awestruck realizations several different times. Each and every time this happens, I am so happy that I chose to come to UVM. The experiences have been wonderful and all my new friends and professors have been great. I am happy I walked up to my professor that day, granted it was a little nerve-racking, but if I hadn’t gone to talk to my professor on that day, I would never have found out how committed professors here at UVM are. Even just the smallest thing, like a professor learning their students’ names, helps being a brand new freshman a little bit easier.

-Heather