Semester’s starting

Today I had my first Integrating the Arts in the Classroom lesson. It is a three hour class consisting of singing, dancing, making arts and crafts, and playing fun games. When I first walked into the room I felt like I had entered a kindergarden classroom. People were playing clapping games, my professor was singing at the top of her lungs and the loudest thing I could hear was laughter. The three hours passed by faster than I had ever imagined possible. We had an open discussion about the pros and cons of integrating music and art in the classroom. The entire group came to the consensus that the arts should always be integrated in the classroom. It hit me that in a very short three years I would actually be making those decisions for my own students. I often have moments in my classes that I realize I am doing exactly what I want to be doing. It’s easy to lose yourself in the daily ins and outs of class expectations and sometimes you forget why you are doing what you’re doing, but then you have an “Ah-Ha” moment and it all makes sense. You’re becoming a teacher because at any given moment you would rather be in a roomful of seven year olds laughing at the read aloud, or you would rather be cutting out shapes for the next art project, or you would rather be leading the homemade instrument band in a parade. It is these moments that will define my next four years.

-Eliza