The Basics

Well, I guess I’ll start with the basics. My name is Mary, and I just started school here at UVM. I grew up in rural New Jersey, because believe it or not, an area like that exists! Fredon, my hometown, is a typical small town. Everyone knows each other’s business, and by the time I graduated I knew everyone in my class a little too well.

I’ve been looking foreword to coming to college for a long time. When I was young I suspected I’d end up at some Ivy League school, mingling with the best. (but then at some time or another, don’t we all think that?) Anyway…I ended up here. Honestly, I don’t think I’d be happier anywhere else. The first time I set foot on campus I thought, “I need to be here” and I think I do.

I live on the first floor of Coolidge hall. I have a forced triple, but it’s in what used to be a lounge so it’s not too bad! Our floor hangs out together a lot, which is so much fun. In the 7 weeks that I’ve been here I’ve tried to go to the stuff going on on campus. I joined the Ultimate Frisbee team, but then I got really sick which was a big bummer! I’m playing in their winter league at the beginning of next semester though. I really love the girls on the team, and it was an amazing way to meet people. Since I did mock trial in high school for all 4 years, I decided to join the team here as well. It’s been a lot different than it was in high school, but so far enjoyable. Another good way to meet people.

Last Tuesday I went to see the PostSecret presentation and it was SO GREAT! I read the postcards every Sunday at postsecret.com and I have a few of the books at home, so I was thrilled when I found out the guy who created it was coming! A friend of mine from my floor, as well as a friend from my Latin class came with me, and I think we all got out of it something different. But, what we got out of it was special to all of us. That sounds pretty cheesy I guess.

So far, I’ve only gone home once. I went for my best friend’s birthday and it was great to see my friends who are still in high school and my family of course, but coming back was really hard. I’ve heard that the first time home is the hardest. I hope so!!