Introduction to my Place!

10/20/19 visit: The place I decided to choose for this project is one of my favorite spots in Centennial woods. A brisk (57 degree F) walk into the woods, on the path past the brook and up the hill, is an old cement bunker, spray painted and crumbling slightly. Weeds have made their way into the cracks of the cement structure, suggesting it has been sitting in its secluded spot in the woods for some time now. On top of the bunker, surrounded by various thriving plant life, looking out into the jumble of tall, slender trees that weave together to make up the forest, critters scurry nearby; squirrels, chasing one another up and down the trunks of trees behind me. Since my spot is located on a hill above the brook, my view spans in all directions. When I first started coming to my spot, the greenery was lush and vibrant. Yet, as the fall approaches and the forest prepares itself for winter, the greens turned to reds, oranges, yellows, and browns. Leaf litter has begun to pile up at my feet, and the broad-leafed burdock plant that sits in front of me has started to wither. The large prickly burs from the burdock plant have attacked my knit sweater and made a new home for themselves there. Daddy long legs seem to appear and disappear spontaneously beside me. A sizable beetle, about an inch and a half long, has made its way to me, its back a dark shimmering blue, iridescent in the light. The wind is crisp and clean, a key characteristic of autumn’s presence. With every gust of wind, the leaves rustle and a few flutter to the ground, filling the sky for some brief seconds. Yet, as the leaves seem to fall endlessly, the trees steadily stay bushy and full of bright colors. The chitter of animals as they roam about comes in and out of earshot, creating a sense of company even as I sit alone in this spot. Occasionally a hiker will pass with a friend or their dog, but otherwise, this is a solitary experience, with nothing but my thoughts and the gifts this spot has to offer.

A view of the trees starting to change color.

Burdock plant.

One Response to “Introduction to my Place!”

1. Hi, this is a comment.
    To get started with moderating, editing, and deleting comments, please visit the Comments screen in the dashboard.
    Commenter avatars come from Gravatar.