Phenology Site Across The Country

During break I visited Jackson, Wyoming. In comparison to Burlington, Vermont, this place was extremely different. Being at a high elevation I noticed a drastic difference in tree species. At my phenology site in Burlington there are all types of trees such as maples, spruce, conifers, oak and more. On the other hand, in Jackson, Wyoming almost all the trees were conifers. This is due to high elevations.

The specific place I chose for my phenology site was the Astoria Mineral Hot Springs in a town next to Jackson called Hoback in Wyoming. This area consisted of the Snake River which starts in western Wyoming and flows through southern Idaho, northeastern Oregon and Washington. Directly on the edge of the river there were multiple hot springs which are springs of naturally hot water heated by the subterranean volcanic activity. This heat is purely natural and can be labeled as geothermal. These hot springs sit on the sides of the river but unfortunately as spring arrives and the snow starts to melt causing the river to rise, the hot springs disappear and they become non exist for people to experience.

During my time at the Astoria Mineral Hot Springs, I did not encounter any signs of bird activity. However, the hillside leading down to the river and hot springs, was covered in tall grasses and other woody shrubs. After observing the grasses and furthering my research, I identified some of these grasses to be Wyoming tansymustard, and Slender cotton-grass.  Although these grasses were present on the walk down to my site, on the river bed and areas surrounding the hot spring, there was little vegetation. Rocks seemed to be the main liner around the river and hot springs.

MAP:

~ by cbredice on March 19, 2017.