Winter Phenology

I chose to stay at my same spot in Centennial woods from last semester so I am able to continue to build a relationship with that area and the plants and animals that reside there. There has been quite a few changes to my spot since my last visit. I am able to see much father due to most of the trees losing their leaves for the winter season. Also, there is snow all around so the trails were slightly harder to follow and find again. My spot is right by the creek, which is much smaller than it was a few months ago. There is snow and ice where there used to be a little beach area, and most of the wid

er areas are frozen to a small stream. Although different, this site is just as beautiful as I remember.

It is unfortunate that it rained because most of the tracks were either gone or very hard to identify. I found some faint tracks deep in the woods, but they were very covered up. My best guess is either a dog or deer because I could tell that this animal was a diagonal walker based on direct register. Towards the front of the woods I found some fresh domestic dog tracks. This is my best guess because of the curved in nails, the fact that I

saw a few dog walkers, and the scat I found right behind it. 

The trees were a little bit harder to identify now since they only have buds, but the identification guide helped a lot! I was able to identify a few Norway maple trees based on the opposite branching and the buds were green and red. I found some buds that belong to the American beech tree as well. I remembered the red scales that we found on lab last week, so these trees stuck out to me. Sadly, the other deciduous trees around looked either dead or I could not find any buds on them. In addition to these great finds, I came across a tree by the water that had grown some mushrooms on the bark! I believe this is a new addition to my site and I can’twait to visit again!