Pre-Law Series: Balancing the Scales
“A law degree is good preparation for anything.” Perhaps, but the rising cost of law school combined with a slow legal job market has had a big impact on the options of new JDs as they leave law school.
It’s now more important than ever that you understand the costs and benefits of attending law school.
Slow down for a minute to consider:
- Have you talked with law students about their experiences in law school?
- Have you talked with people who have JD’s, both those who are and are not practicing law? (Alumni are a great resource!)
- Have you visited a law school or sat in on a class?
- Have you assessed your skills, strengths, and interests and decided that they are a good fit with the core skills and values recommend for future JD students by the American Bar Association?
- Do you understand the financial realties, including the cost of law school, loan repayment, and average rate of pay in your chosen field of law?
It may take a little time to do the above, but it’s well worth the investment of your time and energy. Like the proverbial scales of justice, weigh your options carefully.
See the Career Services Considering Pre-Law page for more info and advice.