In a world where time is of the essence, many students ask whether or not they should use a cover letter for an internship application. Over the last few years this question has also been a discussion with Human Resource professionals and Career Counselors alike. At the end of the day, the answer is still up for debate. Below are 5 reasons why you should use a cover letter for your applications:
- Writing a cover letter gives you the opportunity to reflect on the many reasons why you are a qualified candidate before you go into an interview.
- It’s a marketing tool to help you explain why you are a good fit for the position and how your experiences qualify you.
- It will demonstrate your communication skills, which is the #1 skill set employers look for.
- It builds rapport between you and the organization.
- And finally, a solid cover letter allows you to tell your story in a fashion that is unique and personalized which in the end, can help you stand out from the crowd.
The only time you wouldn’t send a cover letter is when a company has specifically asked you not to. This is a tricky way to see if you can follow instructions, so be mindful of this when applying.
For more tips, watch this video about cover letters.