A UVM blog

PHENOLOGY POST 4/16 SIGNS OF SPRING

Hey all and welcome back to my blog!

Upon arrival to my phenology spot in centennial woods, I was not surprised to see that the signs of spring would be hard to see. The entire forest floor was covered with a ice covered sheet of slushy snow. Sadly there was little vegetation visible on the ground. However, I looked up and was able to notice that a few paper birch began to bud their leaves. Very small and shriveled looking leaves came off of the branches but only a few. In addition to the lack of vegetation visible on the ground, there were also no signs that any amphibians were out and about when I visited. At centennial woods, there is a very good example of the edge effect in action. The hardwood forest is neighbors with the university and parking lots. The edge effect is the effect that ecosystems experience when bordering human development. It is noticeable that there is less plant diversity on the outskirts of the area because it tends to be early succession. Also there is a significantly larger amount of pollution that these plants have to deal with. This can be disruptive for certain plant species and unfit for their growth. The edge effect also divides animal populations. A prime example is all of the animal habitats neighboring our human habitat and civilization. As sad as it sounds, this weather makes me thing that the next week or two is going to be more wintery than springy 🙁 . I hope you all stay warm, please enjoy this sketch of a paper birch at my phenology site.

Thanks!

Signing off,

Ben Levy