The Next Top Chef – UVM style

2 12 2010

I think my favorite thing about living off campus is doing my own cooking. Don’t get me wrong, campus food is more than acceptable – but it does get old after a while.

My family is really into cooking and trying new recipes so when I got my apartment, doing my own cooking was one of the things I was most excited about. Sure, buying a TV and a bed was good and necessary, but buying all the pots and pans and utensils was waaay more fun.

Since my roommate and I still have a lot of friends that live on campus, we have been hosting a Saturday night dinner every week. Each week, everyone comes down to our apartment, and we switch off cooking duties which I would highly recommend to people living off campus in the future. It’s been a great way to see each other because we all have really busy schedules, and it’s not as easy to coordinate hanging out.

We’ve made a chicken and rice casserole, lasagna spirals, vegetarian shepherd’s pie, spaghetti and meatballs, apple crisp, and baked mac and cheese just to name the highlights.

This is a picture of something my roommate and I made one night. We have been getting a delivery of fresh vegetables every week for the whole semester. It’s coordinated through the Intervale Center, and it’s all local produce. The veggies are purple potatoes, purple carrots (I thought it was a basket out of a Dr. Seuss book when I first got it), regular carrots, winter squash, radishes, and beets all tossed with olive oil, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper. Quite tasty :]

Actions

Information