Long time no blog!

3 11 2010

So it’s been a little while since I’ve had the time to do this, so I apologize for not keeping up with it for all you avid blog readers out there :)

I just got back from a trip to a journalism conference in Kentucky with all the media groups at UVM. Three people each from The Cynic, UVMTV, and WRUV all went on the trip, as well as our adviser, Chris Evans. We were gone for 5 days, and had a blast. Each day, we went to sessions on various subjects that ranged from photojournalism and interview techniques to quick design fixes and broadcast sessions. There were so many sessions that I wanted to go to, but I would have needed three more of myself to get to all of them. I went to mostly the design and advertising classes, and I really learned a lot about how to make the paper look better and tips to incorporate ads into the paper. It sounds cheesy, but I was really inspired to come back and try new things and be super creative.

This trip was really great too, because I got the chance to bond with everyone that went on the trip. I already kind of knew everyone, but it was really fun to hang out and just talk and learn more about each other. I highly suggest going to any sort of conference or retreat for whatever group you happen to be involved in. It really gives you the chance to get to know people in a different context.

Here is a picture of me in front of some HUGE paper rolls at The Courier Journal, Louisville’s daily paper (we got to take a tour as one of our sessions). For the record, the place where this paper is held is a huge warehouse absolutely filled with these paper rolls. And f.y.i. all of the rolls in the warehouse were only for 3 weeks of printing…

At the Courier Journal

Actions

Information