The Bill Cronon-Wisconsin Republican party tangle is making me — and many others, judging by the responses I’ve seen on academic listservs — think a little more deeply about how we use our e-mail addresses. Like many, I’m troubled by the possibility that someone could ask to see my e-mail correspondence on any old topic. But I also recognize that they have that right, or something like it, and that the same Freedom of Information laws allow me to ask for others’ e-mails — not everyone’s, but anyone’s who works for a publicly funded institution, like a university. That’s part of the price we pay for a public culture, which keeps us from the Hobbesian state of everyone’s liberty (with guns) against everyone else’s. It’s also what makes that culture vulnerable, but that makes it all the more important to use our public profiles in ways that enhance that culture’s viability.
- Avatar: Panthea v. the Capitalist War Machine
- Books of the decade in ecocultural theory
- Chernobyl, May Day, & the (r)evolution of risk society
- Avatar’s global affects
- Weird life, shadow biospheres, dark signs… & quakes
- Knowledge wants to be free (doesn’t it?)
- Subjectivity, impermanence, & dark flow
- Fairy villages, bowerbird art, & other ambiguous objects
- Earth songs: Michael Jackson’s ecultural ecologies
- Žižek v. Buddhism: who’s the subject?
Post-Constructivism & Speculative Realism
Process-Relational Theory 101
- [START HERE] P-R theory primer
- [THEN] Whitehead’s return, ecology’s boon
- Actual occasions
- Aesthetics & Peirce in the Santa Monica Mountains
- Being knowing, knowing being
- Between Whitehead & Peirce
- Buddhist objects & processes
- For the moment
- In defense of relations (again)
- Nagarjuna, ecophilosophy, & the practice of liberation (pt. 1 of 2)
- Peirce-Whitehead-Hartshorne & process-relational ontology
- Relationalism, Earth jazz, & the solstice
- Slice of time
- Space junk & the (relational) Real
- (s)Speculative (r)Realism & philosophy-as-life
- The attractions of process (metaphysics)
- The idea of Nature, refigured
- The politics of objects & relations
- Things slip away: on Harman’s Latourian object lessons (pt. 2 of 2)
- What a bodymind can do, pt. 1 (of 3)
- Žižek and his Others
Cinema & Image Theory
- Anthrobiogeomorphic machine
- Bergson & the universal image machine
- Cinema as Prospero’s organic machine
- Cinema, ontology, ecology
- Ecology, Deleuze/Tarkovsky, & the time-image
- Stalking the cinema stalking the world
- The decay of images (& of bodies)
- The model (Peirce+Whitehead): films, dogs, worlds
- Toward an ecophilosophical cinema
- Bennett’s Vibrant Matter (conclusion)
- Esbjorn-Hargens’ & Zimmerman’s Integral Ecology
- Harman’s Prince of Networks
- Herzogenrath’s Deleuze/Guattari & Ecology
- Shaviro’s Post-Cinematic Affect
- Pickering’s Cybernetic Brain (Eco-onto-politics 1)
- Taylor’s A Secular Age
- Wilber, Integralism, & Whitehead (Eco-onto-politics 3)
Tagsaffect animism anthropology art Bennett Bryant Buddhism cinema climate change Connolly Deleuze eco-art ecocriticism Ecologies of the Moving Image ecology ecomedia ecophilosophy ecopolitics ecotheory environmental communication eventology film Harman immanence immanent naturalism integral theory Latour media music nature Nonhuman Turn object-oriented philosophy ontology paganism pantheism Peirce Politics process-relational thought relationalism religion speculative realism Ukraine visuality Whitehead Zizek
RefugiaI take refuge in the wakefulness: vast, blissful, and emanating.
I take refuge in the truth: ever-present, open, and changing.
I take refuge in the congregation of all conscious beings.
Through this practice I realize my true nature, and bring benefit to all.
- This weblog is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States license.