Maidan & the Left: “Libertarian in spirit”

In a report on the recent conference “The Left and the Maidan,” held in Kyiv in April, Russian trade unionist Kirill Buketov (of the Global Labour Institute and the International Union of Food and Agricultural Workers) provides a detailed overview of the role of the political left in the Maidan movement.

Buketov argues that while the Maidan cannot be adequately described as either left-wing or right-wing in its political character — according to polls, “93% of the Maidan participants were distant from politics” and only 7% “had a political position and belonged to one political group or another” — in spirit it was “left-wing” and “libertarian.”

“Driven by protest against corruption and tyranny, against humiliation and oppression, by masses of people who felt their dignity had been offended by their rulers’ lies,”

the movement, he argues, was both anti-authoritarian in its essence and in its “modus operandi”:

“The Maidan used methods that we [the left] traditionally consider to be our own: direct participation, self-organisation, direct actions, rejection of leaders, and a resounding NO to the steering and pacesetting role of parties.”

The article discusses the Left Opposition (which has been mentioned several times on this blog), the Women’s Squadron (with its feminist demands), the Students’ Assembly (led by anarchists), the leftist Hospital Watch group, and others.

Buketov also discusses the failures of the Maidan left, including the low representation within it of workers groups and trade unions (“the bulk of the protest movement was formed by students, pensioners, office clerks, civil servants, small entrepreneurs, etc.”) and a general lack of coordination among its groups.

The full article can be read in English translation here.

14 Responses to “Maidan & the Left: “Libertarian in spirit””

1. When visiting blogs, i normally discover a quite excellent content material like yours

2. Nowhere on the Internet is there this much quality and clear info on this topic. How do I know? I know because I’ve searched this topic at length. Thank you.

3. thank for dropping this story. I’m definitely tired of struggling to uncover relevant and intelligent commentary on this topic. Everyone nowadays seem to go to extremes to either drive home their viewpoint or suggest that everybody else inside the globe is wrong. thank for your concise and relevant insight.

4. Wow, excellent website format! How lengthy have you been operating a blog for? you make operating a website glance effortless. The overall glance of your webpage is great, let alone the content material!

5. Johnny Depp is my idol. such an astounding guy ;

6. This website can be a walk-by way of for all with the data you required about this and didn’t know who to ask. Glimpse here, and also you’ll certainly uncover it.

7. This web web site is truly a walk-through for all of the info you wanted about this and didn’t know who to ask. Glimpse here, and you will definitely discover it.

8. Woh Everybody loves you , bookmarked ! My partner and i take issue in your last point.

9. I was wondering if you ever thought of changing the page layout of your blog?
    Its very well written; I love what youve got to say. But maybe you could a little
    more in the way of content so people could connect with it better.
    Youve got an awful lot of text for only having
    1 or 2 pictures. Maybe you could space it out better?

my web site – Danelle G. Alber

10. There’s definately a lot to learn about this topic. I love all of the points you have made.

Here is my blog post … Joye U. Schomberg

11. This information is invaluable. Where can I find
    out more?

My website; Shaina K. Cambia

12. Paragraph writing is also a excitement, if you know then you can write or else it is difficult to write.

Take a look at my web-site – Jesica B. Cambia

13. Tremendous things here. I am very happy to look your article. Thanks so much and I’m having a look forward to touch you. Will you kindly drop me a mail?

14. What’s up, its pleasant article about media print, we all be familiar with media is a impressive source
    of data.