Language and ethnicity in Ukraine

Claims about language and ethnicity in Ukraine, including confusions between the two — for instance, that parts or all of eastern Ukraine are “majority Russian” — still appear in western media reports. Now that Vladimir Putin has proclaimed all of eastern and southern Ukraine “Novorossiya” (New Russia) — that is, “really” part of Russia and not part of Ukraine — these facts become all the more important to understand.

Here are a few maps to help with that.

The map below shows the majority “native language by city, town, and village according to the 2001 census, which is the latest censes carried out in Ukraine. Darker colors (such as dark blue for Ukrainian, dark red for Russian) indicate 80% or more majorities; lighter colors indicate a simple plurality. As can be seen, “majority Russian language” appears mostly (aside from Crimea) in urbanized pockets of far eastern Ukraine.

UkraineNativeLanguagesCensus2001detailed-en

This clearly shows that Putin’s newly announced policy of considering all of eastern and southern Ukraine as “Novorossiya” (New Russia) is not based in contemporary linguistic reality. The language patterns are largely a product of settlement patterns in the Soviet period (which saw ethnic Russians encouraged to move to these parts of Ukraine) and Russian domination from the Russian empire onward.

The following map shows the percentage of ethnic Russians by province, according to the same census. Note that the only province in which there is an actual majority (darkest blue) of ethnic Russians is Crimea, which has now been de facto returned to Russia. The others all have Ukrainian ethnic majorities.

800px-Russians_Ukraine_2001

The only variable in contemporary language use that could provide any support for the “Novorossiya” claim is that of everyday language use (as opposed to native language claimed). Since the majority of Ukrainians are bilingual, having inherited their language practice from Soviet times when Russian language predominated in official culture (and Ukrainian language was often denigrated), there are many ethnic Ukrainians who speak “mostly” or “predominantly” Russian. This map shown an overlay of majority (plurality) ethnicity — ethnic Ukrainians are red and yellow, ethnic Russians are brown — with language use:

800px-Ethnolingusitic_map_of_ukraine

The trouble with the above map is that it doesn’t show any of the predominant shades of everyday bilingualism nor the amount of surzhyk — that is, mixed Russian-Ukrainian — spoken in many Ukrainians’ everyday lives. For that, we need more nuanced and qualitative analyses (like this one and this one).

It shouldn’t need mentioning that language use ought not dictate the country a region belongs to. Such a claim harkens back to colonial or imperial times, with former colonies being ripe for colonial or imperial reclamation (for instance, Ireland, Canada, Australia, and the United States by Britain, Austria and part of Switzerland by Germany, part of Belgium by France, much of South America by Spain or Portugal, and so on). Such a claim would be absurd in the twenty-first century.

This Washington Post article provides a lucid overview of the reasons why Ukraine’s ethnic and territorial integrity should take precedence over claims that parts of it are “really Russian.”

29 Responses to “Language and ethnicity in Ukraine”

1. Please let me know if you’re looking for a article author
    for your blog. You have some really good articles and I feel I would be
    a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d
    absolutely love to write some content for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine.

Please shoot me an e-mail if interested. Cheers!

2. This year we have actually switched over every one
    of our outside lights from routine tinted lights to led.

3. (Vegemite, Marmite and many others.)

4. Will a high-rise house or townhouse fit your needs or will somebody home actually
    be a better match to your life-style?

5. What’s up everyone, it’s my first go to
    see at this website, and article is really fruitful in support of me, keep up posting these types of posts.

6. The Halo Trust – as soon as backed by Diana, Princess of Wales – said repayments
    to Amanda Pullinger, present chairwoman of the trustees, and
    also Simon Conway were ideal.

7. I would like to thank you for the efforts you’ve put in penning this blog.
    I really hope to view the same high-grade content from you in the future as well.
    In fact, your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my very own blog now 😉

8. This amount is more than 3 times the amount of solar mounted over the last five years.

9. Sri Lankan wedding photography is at a really advanced stage nowadays that at the finish
    of the marriage the guests get a photograph of the bride and the grokm as a token of
    expressing gratitude for attending the wedding ceremony.

10. Receive Puget Sound Company Journal’s Early
    morning Edition as well as Mid-day Version newsletters
    as well as damaging news signals.

11. Your Big Time Parasite Control specialist is thoroughly educated on ways to determine your
    certain pest trouble as well as plan a therapy.

12. I do not know if it’s just me or if perhaps everyone else
    experiencing issues with your blog. It seems like some of the text within your content are running off the screen. Can someone else please
    provide feedback and let me know if this is happening to them as
    well? This may be a problem with my internet browser because I’ve
    had this happen before. Thanks

13. Poг consiguiente, ρara lograr las pruebas
    incriminatorias у efectur toda lа investigación ԁеl caso, el
    fiscal no sólo ha de sеr conocedor de ⅼօs mismos, sіno debеrá
    respetar сon rigidez lߋs derechos ⅾe lass personas a las quue
    tome declaración, аsí сomo también realizar de formа limpia la adquisición de lɑs pruebas.

14. “It was an thrilling night in Will Hill Towers as we watched the sport and tracked the progress of this gorgeous wager.”

15. One is to meet with customers and offer them a discount
    if they pay quickly. The factoring company holds the invoice until maturation and settles the transaction with your company once the customer pays the invoice 100 %.
    The most important advantage of hiring an invoice factoring company is that you are paid
    immediately for every invoice that your company generates.

16. cornwallontariocan.info is a website that allows you to trade for. Best price and coupon discounts. We have compiled for you here.

17. Just make sure you’re taking the courses that youu must
    graduate, the courses required to get into the college you wish to enter, and the programs required for thhe potential school majors you would
    possibly select.

18. bulk note sale

Language and ethnicity in Ukraine | UKR-TAZ

19. com, as well as traditional mail order and brick and mortar retailers as Hammacher Schlemmer
    and Sears, Roebuck and Co. If you create a strong relationship with your customers through email or on the phone,
    your customers can come to trust you and will feel that you really care about their situation. They are available in various schemes like
    green, red, orange and dark shades like jangle green, brown and black.

If the first time buyers on your website are satisfied with the products, pricing
    and online services they are most likely to return back to
    your website for their future purchases. To learn more about online shopping, visit our website at My
    – Reviews – Now.

20. Please let me know if you’re looking for a writer for your site.

You have some really good articles and I believe I would bee a good asset.
    If you ever want tto take some of the load off, I’d really like to write some material for your blog in exchange forr a link back to mine.
    Please send me an e-mail if interested. Many thanks!

21. Cerita Motivasi

22. Thank you, I have recently been looking for information approximately this subject for a long time and yours is the
    best I have discovered so far. But, what about the conclusion? Are you positive in regards to the source?

23. I got this site from my pal who informed me about this web site
    and at the moment this time I am browsing this web site and
    reading very informative articles here.

24. ครีมหน้าขาว

25. Hey pas bête. Ou alors un site bien cool avec des conseils sur le jardinage c’est ravissant-jardin.fr.
    A découvrir 🙂

26. cheap to Run bathroom heaters

27. Capture a flick at the Marco Island Theater, play small golf at Marco Golf as well as Garden or check out the Marco Island Gallery or the
    Fine art Organization.

28. Plewse let me knokw if you’re looking for a aughor for your site.
    You have some really good articles and I think I would be
    a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d absolufely love to write some material for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine.
    Please blast me an e-mail if interested. Cheers!