My favorite thing about any holiday is the food, and Halloween is no exception.
So, in honor of the spookiest holiday of the year, I present you with two UVM-themed Halloween treats. They’re simple, easy and perfect to bring to a Halloween party with UVM friends.
First up, Catamount Crispies. This twist on the traditional rice krispie treat is so easy, you don’t even need an oven. Check out the video below to see how I whipped these up in the office kitchen with just a microwave.
I adapted the recipe right off the back of a box of Rice Krispies.
- 6 cups Kellogg’s® Rice Krispies® cereal
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (10 oz) of marshmallows or 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- Green food dye
- Frosting for decorating
Here’s how you do it:
Stove top directions:
1. In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat. Add 10-15 drops of green food coloring.
2. Add cereal. Stir until well coated.
3. Using buttered spatula or wax paper evenly press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Cool. Cut into 2-inch squares. Best if served the same day.
In microwave-safe bowl heat butter and marshmallows on HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Follow steps 2 and 3 above. Microwave cooking times may vary.
No dessert is complete without an accompanying beverage.
Enter my Ghost of Ira Allen Punch. It glows green and plays well with other spirits, if you know what I mean…
Ghost of Ira Allen Punch
Recipe borrowed from Pillsbury.
- 1 quart lime sherbet, slightly softened
- 1 container (12 oz) frozen limeade, thawed
- 1 bottle (1 liter) ginger ale
- Gummy worm candies
- Lime slices (or lemon for that Green & Gold flair)
Here’s how to do it:
1. In punch bowl or pitcher, mix sherbet, limeade and ginger ale.
2. Pour into glasses. Garnish each glass with candy and lime slices. Serve immediately.