March 19th Update

For my spring break phenological spot, I wasn’t quite sure where to go. When I visited my uncle, he suggested the nearby Audubon Greenwich. I’m glad he did because it fits in perfectly with the bird theme for this mid-March update. Similar to other Audubons, this sanctuary helps protect various bird species. Opened in 1943, the main sanctuary, with 285 acres, is comprised of hardwood forests(oak, beech, maple, and hemlock), old fields, lake, streams, and vernal pools.

Within the first 20 minutes of being there, we saw a hawk fly overhead. While I couldn’t clearly identify the bird, I believe that it was most likely a red-tailed hawk. While we were walking, we also saw a goose in the pond(see below). Besides those two birds, there was nothing else really noticeable to observe, except for a turkey track that I stumbled upon. One thing I did see was all the downed branches/trees on and off the trail. I assume that these were due to the recent snow storms that came through the area. However, they looked rather old, so the new room available will enable new growth in the upcoming spring and summer season.

Photos going clockwise: entrance sign of preserve, streams and pools, turkey track, small lake that contains smallmouth bass

~ by aeromano on March 17, 2018.