Hi, my name is Anna Eekraw, and I am from Essex Junction, VT. Because I only live 20 minutes away from UVM and go home regularly, I decided it would be easier to chose my own backyard as my phenology place. I am lucky enough to have a natural area in my backyard with a stream and a diverse species of trees.

I chose my phenology spot because of two reasons: convenience and curiosity. This cozy stream surrounded by many trees, plants, and wildlife is just a few steps from my back patio. Even more, the stream leads directly into Indian Brooke in Essex, VT. which then leads into Lake Champlain. During the summer months I swim at Indian Brooke and go boating on Lake Champlain, so it’s nice to see part of the larger watershed right in my backyard. Indian is a very popular place to swim in my town. What happens in the stream in my backyard can directly impact this resorvoir. Second, as a kid I played in the stream but have never directly observed the area. I want to be more familiar with the trees and living organism so close to me. I believe I can use what I have learned and will learn in NR 1 to gain a new perspective on a place I have spent my childhood.