Phenology Blog February 6

Today I revisited my phenology place for the first time since my last posting, and it was a world of difference. When I first arrived at phenology place it seemed to be almost dead compared to the spring and fall when their was life all around. The air was still, cold, and unforgiving there were no leaves on the trees and the grasses and leaves that once covered the ground were now underneath a layer of snow, making it look like a barren tundra. Then as I cleared away an area on top of a log to sit I started to find the beauty that was surrounding me. I herd a variety of birds calling including a few that I recognize like a Junco and Chickadee. Also as I began to look closer at the snow itself and realized that I was surrounded by squirrel tracks, it looked like they had been running around the base of pine trees chasing each other and looking for food. I searched for tracks from different animals but surprisingly I could not find any where my phenology place was. This shocked me since my spot is right by a water source, I thought there would be lots of animals like deer and especially foxes because of the squirrels. Although it had just snowed and was continuing to snow while I was there so there is a very good chances that many tracks could have been covered by the snow.  Even the squirrel tracks that seemed to only be a few hours old had a light dusting of snow on top of them. There were also many didciduous trees and shrubs that I noticed like Paper birch, Green Ash, Northern Red Oak, Buck Throne, and Norway Maple.

Paper birch                                                      Red Oak

Green Ash                                                  Squirrel Tracks